Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yesterday was a Good Day

Not a great day, but a good day full of happy-inducing, soul-satisfying experiences. It needed some help getting there, but things were going my way and I made it happen. I love days like that.

The morning routine went smoothly. DH and I were able to get some quality time in. I left to get my hair cut and realized I didn't have any cash for tips, so I stopped into Trader Joe's to get some treats and cash back. While there, I noticed a group of small children surrounding the cooking/demonstration area. They were being shepherded by none other than Mrs. W., C's kindergarten teacher. I hadn't seen her since last year (all the kids are done with preschool now), so we had a chance to hug and briefly catch up. It was wonderful to see her.

From there, I went to see David. He worked his magic and made me look great. While I was waiting (color and highlights take a while), I started craving a hamburger. I shouldn't really give in, because BUMD and I are on the South Beach Diet. By the time my hair was done, I was a goner. I decided to go for it and a few minutes and miles later I walked into Johnny Rockets. Two men sitting at the counter smiled at me as I walked in. I'm decidedly not hot these days, but the happy feeling must've shown through. I took a seat at the counter. The waiter was pleasant. The music was good. I ordered a #12 with onion rings and a vanilla coke. The coke was perfect - crushed ice and yum in a I-haven't-had-a-coke-in-oh-so-long kind of way. The onion rings were also perfect - fresh and crispy with the ideal amount of batter. Nice. The burger was good - not the thick, juicy kind I was craving, but still tasty with a good amount of mayo and sauce, crisp lettuce, juicy tomato, and tangy onion. It was a really good diet-busting lunch.

To round things out, I went to TJ Maxx to spec out a new purse. While walking there, I passed a woman sitting on a bench. She asked for money. I gave my regrets, but then decided that if I found what I was looking for, I'd give her something on the way out. I not only found a purse, but also a hat. They're set aside until Sunday now. Thus satisfied, I made good on my promise. It's not a location where people are typically asking for money - I wonder what she was doing there?

Later, I was supposed to go to a meeting but was not exactly enthused about it. I let BUMD talk me into opening a bottle of wine and staying home instead. We cooked up a steak, made a ton of veggies (mostly back on the diet track), and sat down to watch some TV with the kids. Later, we got some more quality time.

So, there you have it - the ingredients of a good day. It took a combination of good decisions and fate to make it happen. Also a little laziness and some desire for good karma. All in all, it's the best Hump Day I've had a quite a while.

1 comments:

Kirsty said...

It's so great when a day falls together so pleasantly. Simple pleasures that make life worth loving :) Glad you had such a good day-you deserve it :)