Monday, May 18, 2009

Music Monday

BUMD and I will celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary this Wednesday. In August, we'll celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary. Confused? Well, as usual, we did what works best for us. In this case, we had our wedding in May 1991 and a church wedding in August 1992.

The first wedding was a small, private affair - just him, me, and his best friend. Brett held the scabbard while BUMD and I jumped over the sword. We'd decided that we were committed to each other, so the marriage was official to us (albeit not legal). That was fine for the moment; my parents had already said that they wouldn't support a married student and I still had one more year of school to go. BUMD had just graduated and had work to do here in VA. We spent the rest of that year trying to spend time together at least once a month, until I graduated in May of 1992. We moved into our new apartment in VA in July.

In August, we had the official church wedding. I suppose I can't blame my parents for doubting our initial commitment. We had, after all, only been dating for three months before getting engaged. The family engagement track record wasn't too hot at that point, as my sister and brother had recently broken off long-time engagements. Our relationship was clearly different. We just were, and are, right for each other. We couldn't see a reason that we shouldn't be married, so we decided that we were. Formalizing the relationship in front of a larger audience and signing some paperwork made it official to others. Therefore, we celebrate both dates.

Since we didn't wait to get married, I never had the "Wedding Bell Blues" that Fifth Dimension sings about. That hasn't stopped me from loving the song. I was tickled to hear K singing along with it today. I've clearly been playing it enough lately.

1 comments:

Denise said...

LOL, that is a little confusing, but it seems to have worked out for you guys!