Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Day of Reckoning, Month 5

...and, by default, Month 4 (since I didn't manage to post that day). I've at least managed to lose another 3 lbs, bringing the grand total lost to 9. Not particularly spectacular for five months.

The latest weight loss (ad)venture involves giving up sugar. I may have to settle for simply avoiding it most of the time. Today, for instance, I was out running errands. I really, really wanted to stop at Subway and get an Italian sub, but I settled for going to Whole Paycheck and getting some sushi and a seaweed salad. I figured that was marginally better than eating bread and cold cuts that I know have sugar in them. It turns out that my "healthier" choice still contained sugar, both in the salad and the sushi. Going completely sugar-free is much harder than I thought.

Score card:
9 lbs down, 51 to go.

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

CONGRATULATIONS. 9 lbs is 9lbs which is a considerable amount of weight! Go you. It seems about the right pace of loss for keeping it off.

Re: sugar in everything-I hear ya sistah. I have contented myself for the time being with avoiding it in its most obvious forms and in stuff like yoghurt etc (that stuff is LOaDED). Considering where I was before (and the many boxes of girlscout cookies in the house), this is a huge step in the right direction. I am feeling SO much better ALREADY.

I have been looking for something to eat tonight and will have to eat yet another bowl of steel cut oats. There is not a heck of a lot of sugar free comfort food is there..hmmm. I keep reminding myself I am not on a diet and can eat as much as I want so long as it is not sugar. But I'm still quite hungry because THERE IS NOTHING LEFT THAT IS NOT SUGAR.

Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

congrats! i started an elimination diet two weeks ago that took out sugar, flour, dairy (temporarily), caffeine, that sort of thing. lost three pounds that week, though i have to tell you -- too hard to maintain for 30 days. but my lesson learned -- eat more produce and less crap. well, duh for me :-)