Monday, December 15, 2008

Music Monday

My family spends a lot of time being flippant about most things in life - the holidays are no exception. There's nothing quite like a funny holiday song to get things going. There are plenty of them - Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer and Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song get a lot of air play. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus is a standard as well, but the appeal of the updated version, I Saw Daddy Kissing Santa Claus, is increasing (Santa and Daddy are clearly gay, therefore Santa must support gay marriage, right? Who wants to go against Santa?).

BUMD and I tend to skewer other songs as well. We love singing these lyrics, taught to us by a friend's girlfriend many years ago, to the tune of Carol of the Bells: "Just go away, leave me alone, I'm doing fine, don't bother me. Have yourself a very Merry Christmas somewhere else!" BUMD has also done his best to make me snicker every time I hear another one of my favorites, Vanessa Williams' version of Baby It's Cold Outside.

Here's one of his other favorite holiday tunes, Tom Lehrer's I'm Spending Hanukkah in Santa Monica.

1 comments:

Denise said...

I was dying reading your husbands "date rape" version of Baby it's cold outside. I've never heard the song you posted before, it was interesting. My 3 yr old has decided that Grandma got ran over by a reindeer is her favorite song....Grandma is staying at our house right now. LOL