Monday, March 16, 2009

Music Monday

BUMD and I had a great time in NYC this past weekend. His parents picked the kids up from school, which meant that we were free to leave Friday morning after dropping them off. On the way to DC to drop off the van, we were listening to the CD I burned the other day. Like many others in my car, it's labeled "misc" - in this case, it's a compilation of the various songs I've been listening to on iTunes lately. None of them make any particular sense together, although when listening to it you do get the overwhelming sense that my musical tastes were formed in the 70s. One of the songs we listened to was America's Ventura Highway. BUMD remarked that he wanted to know how the alligator lizards got into the air. That had never occurred to me before. It's a good song, great rhythm - why worry about the lyrics of most 70s tunes? I don't have access to the proper drugs to make those kinds of connections.

Still, by the time we were on the bus heading up 95 we'd already come up with several theories. We ended up revisiting this topic at random intervals throughout the weekend. It's actually a good theory to contemplate while in the Village, but maybe not so good while in the subway looking at the rats. BUMD was sooo excited to see real subway rats - he really needs to get out more. Clearly, we also need to get out more together. Give us a weekend alone to talk with no interruptions and we end up discussing alligator lizards. Deep thinkers - maybe not.

3 comments:

Denise said...

I've wondered what that line means too....LOVE that song!! We saw them perform at a county fair a few years ago, it was a really good show!

Anonymous said...

glad you had a great weekend! i remember when that song came out and we were actually riding down ventura highway. i'm relieved to tell you that we didn't see any alligator lizards in the air. of course, i was all of 9 years old, so i am sure i could conjure up a whole host of other things i might have seen... but my only, er, medication at that point would have been too much sugar ;-)

Kirsty said...

I read this last week and then I had a dream about seeing NY rats and I have been trying to figure out why I would have that dream and now coming back here and re-reading it all becomes clear. Btw, subway rats are my most deep-seated phobia (even more then bats), so I really must thank you for that :P

Thanks for stopping by the blog and the nice comment. I leave here with a smile every time too (and then I go on to have horrifying nightmares.)