Monday, December 1, 2008

Music Monday

It's Christmastime!

The kids keep asking me if it's Christmas yet. While the actual event doesn't take place until December 25, Christmastime officially starts around noon on Thanksgiving day. Why noon? That's when Santa appears during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC. That's how I've always timed it - your mileage may vary. Certainly retail stores' times vary. Target had its displays up before Halloween. That's just wrong.

The best part about Christmastime is that I finally get to listen to songs I only hear once a year. Maybe that's why most of them stay so popular - a month isn't nearly enough time to get sick of them, and then you have almost eleven months to forget all about them.

My all-time favorite Christmas song is "Sleigh Ride." My favorite version of this song was performed by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops. It's a classic. Some inventive (and surely driven) person put together this video. Watch and enjoy (and marvel at the time it must have taken).

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the pops. reminds me of my childhood. (other post didn't go through, so hoping this one does :-)